Footsteps on Clouds
Chirayu's blog about search engines, Google, poetry, usability, search engine optimization and marketing, writing, reading, books, cricket, musings, Haiku, teaching, and collection of interesting personal, professional, and misc. links. Collection of thoughts, quotable quotes, sayings, ideas, articles, news, movies, lyrics, and Shayari with life and times as a web content writer, an online researcher, and a search engine marketing professional from Bangalore in India.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Saturday, February 02, 2008
An Interesting Read: Determining Search Intent
An interesting article on SearchEngineLand that talks of approaches to find search intent.
- Should a user on an e-commerce shopping web site get a recommendation (related/see more/find more/you may find these interesting/learn more/get more products, etc) based on what a certain category of users have tried and liked
- Should a user be made to view choices and recommendations based on personal search trends/search history
# Search intent to be based on Wisdom of the Crowds or Personal Preferences is what this article talks about.
Determining search intent through wisdom of the crowds or through an individual's preferences through personal search trends.
# Web sites related to the above hyperlink:
- Baynote.com - Wisdom of the Crowds
- VortexDna - Personal preferences as a guide to online content.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Keyword Selection Tools for Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Online Pay Per Click (PPC) Advertising
List of keyword research and keyword selection tools for search engine marketing (SEM) through pay-per-click (PPC) advertising.
- Google AdWords Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Overture Yahoo! Search Marketing (Y!SM) Keyword Selector
- Digital Point Keyword Selector Tool
- Keyword Discovery (Paid with free trial)
- Yooter Keyword Selection Tool
- WordTracker.com (Paid with free trial)
- KeywordSpy.com (Paid with free trial)
Tuesday, January 01, 2008
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Products and Features: Ideas for Search Engines in India
Product and feature ideas for search engines in India.
- Music and Movies Information 1-Box Search
- TV Schedules 1-Box Search
- Train Enquiry/ Train TimeTable 1-Box Search
- City Events and Engagements 1 -Box Search ( For e.g. New play at Rang Sharada, J.P. Nagar)
- Retail Stores Info 1-Box Search (Big Bazaar, Fabmall, Megamart, Trinethra, Pyramid, Reliance Fresh, Subhiksha, etc.)
- Airfares and Flights Search 1-Box (Type Mumbai to Bangalore, get 1-Box search with text boxes for From to Dates with links to those search results from airfare search aggregators like cleartrip, makemytrip, ezeego1, travelguru, and zoomtra)
- Books 1-Box Search (Books from Landmark, Crossword, FirstandSecond)
- Local Search for more Tier I, II, and III cities like Nashik, Bellary, Solan, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Jalandhar, Shimla, Ranchi, Darjeeling, Salem, Aurangabad, Shillong, Burdwan, Kalyan, Surat, Belgaum, Bhatinda, Margao, Bharuch, Jamnagar, Rajkot, Bhuj, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Allahabad, Cuttack, Balasore, Puri, Ujjain, Gwalior, Jhansi, and many more.
- India Local Search with Maps
- India Street Maps Search (Find distance and directions from Koramangala 4th Block 2nd Main to Koramangala 7th Block 3rd Main in Bangalore)
- Regional Language Local Search (type in Kannada and get the address of your neighbourhood 'Darshini')
- Jobs (get the latest jobs posted on Naukri, ClickJobs, Vyoms, and other job sites)
- Stock Markets (Real-time Stock Quotes from BSE and NSE, Sensex Live)
- Kids (Special collection of websites for children between the ages of 4-14 years. Filtered content, specific categories)
- Shopping Aggregator (Price comparison across Indian e-commerce sites like Futurebazaar, IndiaPlaza, Sify Shopping, Rediff Shopping, and so on)
- Education (URLs of universities, colleges, schools, professional and academic institutes)
- Special Sanskrit Initiative (Scan and make archived Sanskrit texts searchable)
- Custom Regional Language Search Application for Government
Sunday, April 29, 2007
An index of start-ups in India. इंडेक्स ऑफ़ स्टार्ट-उप्स इन इंडिया
An index of start-ups in India.
Why doesn't the page link to the Web sites? It only shows the लोगोस (logos). What's a reference on the Web without a hyperlink? Guys, please link to those start-ups, else how will people visit them if they don't have the inclination to open an instance of a browser window to enter the URL of the Web site in the address bar? Isn't it a point? The effort is good. All the best in supporting start-ups in India. Good luck.
Saturday, April 28, 2007
'गूगल समाचार भारत' से हिन्दी मे समाचार पढिये
गूगल समाचार भारत के द्वारा हिन्दी मैं लेटेस्ट समाचार पढिये. Read the latest breaking news, as it happens, from Hindi newspapers online and Hindi Web portals on गूगल समाचार भारत (Google News Hindi)।
गूगल समाचार भारत tracks the latest news stories from Hindi newspapers, portals, and वेब साइट्स and presents them category-wise (खेल, मनोरंजन, कारोबार, विश्व, भारत)। Try Google News Hindi(हिन्दी).
Friday, April 27, 2007
A Thought For Today
I know you've heard it a thousand times before. But it's true—hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don't love something, then don't do it. नहीं पसंद है तो मत कर|
~ Ray Bradbury
AOL launches Portal for India
AOL launches web portal for India. Visit www.aol.in.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
टाईप More Easily in Hindi Using Blogger's Hindi Transliteration Feature
हिन्दी मैं लिखना और टाईप करना अब और आसान हो गया है ब्लॉगर के 'Write in Hindi' फीचर से without any need for an Input Method Editor like Baraha.
Now the type in Hindi feature is in-built in Blogger.
Use Ctrl+G keys on your keyboard to toggle between typing in English and Hindi in 'Compose' mode. मैंने अब हिन्दी मैं टाईप करना शुरू कीया and this is English after using the Ctrl+G key to toggle between Hindi and English typing in the कम्पोस (Compose) mode of ब्लॉगर। :-)
सही हैं ना। अब हिन्दी मैं ब्लोग करना और भी आसान हो गया हैं।
There's no need for an input method editor (IME) for blogging in Hindi. It's in-built in Blogger, that's nice.
However an input method editor like बराहा (Baraha) is required for blogging in other Indian regional languages like ગુજરાતી, বান্গলা (Bengali), मराठी, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (पंजाबी), तमील, तेलगु, कन्नड़, मलयालम, and ओरीया (Oriya).
-If you want to change the way a word shows on screen then select the word and left-click the mouse button to get a drop-down box with a suggested list of words that you may replace it with.
Read more about Google's Blogger Transliteration feature for Hindi language.
Nice lines from the song 'dilli' फ्रॉम the film 'Delhii Heights'.
आवारा हैंै नाम
भटकना अपना वीधान हैं
फुर्सत हैं काम
कुछ धुन्द्ला सा अपना नीशान हैं
और मैं हूँ, तू हैं, और हैं dilli बस्स...
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Link to download ગુજરાતી to English Dictionary compiled by Babu Suthar. (PDF - file size: 1.01MB). Contains more than 6500 words in Gujarati with their meanings in English.
Convert PDF to word document/text file from Zamzar file conversion Web site.
Download હિતાર્થ ગુજરાતી પ્રેયસ (hitarth gujarati preyas) font. (Zip file, size: 104KB).
Friday, March 23, 2007
Themes for Google Personalized Homepage
Add Web design themes to your personalized Google page. Sign in to your Google Personalized Home page with your Gmail id and choose 'Select Themes' from the top right-hand side of the Web page to select a theme for your personalized Google page.
Google Personalized Home page Themes.
Friday, March 16, 2007
Search Trends Report
For my reading and ready reference.
Piper Jaffray Internet Media and Marketing Research team predicts Internet advertising and search industry trends in its 425-page (5.95MB) Feb 2007 PDF report The User Revolution: The New Advertising Ecosystem and the Rise of the Internet as a Mass Medium.
Download PDF. (Link via SearchEngineWatch).
File size: 5.95MB. Pages: 425.
Did you know that 55 crore (550 million) searches are conducted daily in the U.S.? Search marketing is a U.S. $15.8 billion global industry growing to $44.5 billion over the next five years and search is the second most commonly used application on the World Wide Web. Numbers from page 13 of the above report.
It's a big world out there for regional search engines and there's money to make for players in the local and regional search engine industry. Read Key Findings on pg 13-14 of the above PDF report.
Monday, March 12, 2007
Cricket World Cup Logo on Google India
Friday, March 09, 2007
Store and Share Photos with Picasa Web Albums
Picasa Web Albums offer 1GB of free storage space to upload, save, store, and share photos and images.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Airfare Search Aggregators in India
Find and compare airfares from low-cost and other Indian airlines with these India-centric travel aggregators.
- Mobissimo India finds and compares domestic Indian airfares and also airfares across the globe, with a hyperlink to book tickets for each search result shown on the Web page.
- Yahoo Farechase India (Beta) finds airfares of Indian carriers.
- Zoomtra (Beta).
- Rediff Faresearch finds domestic airfares and provides a link to the airline Web site to book tickets.
Add your Hindi Blog to Narad Akshargram
My Visual DNA
Monday, March 05, 2007
Interesting: What's your Visual DNA?
Octopart - Search Engine for Electronic Components
Octopart search engine finds and compares prices and availability of electronic components from catalogues of Allied Electronics, Digi-Key, Mouser, and Newark component distributors. For example: 105 degree electrolytic capacitors.
You may contact Octopart if you are an electronic components distributor that wants to add its catalog of inventory to the new search engine.
Schedule of India's Matches at the Cricket World Cup in West Indies
Schedule of India's matches at the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies from the 13th of March to the 28th of April 2007.
Group matches start at 7pm Indian Standard Time (IST). The group matches in Jamaica start at 8pm IST. Super Eight matches start at 8pm IST.
January 2007 - Google Zeitgeist
A list of popular search queries on Google India in January 2007.
March and April are going to be the months of cricket frenzy in Indian sub-continent. Target cricket related keywords in your web content and include cricket posts and write-ups on the 2007 cricket world cup to generate hits from cricket-related search queries on Google and Google India.
- According to Google Zeitgeist International, the top search queries on Google Pakistan are Bollywood related.
- Shilpa Shetty, courtesy Celebrity Big Brother UK, was the 13th most popular search term on Google United Kingdom in January this year.
Adobe Plans to Host Photoshop Online
Adobe to host an online version of Photoshop, its popular image editing software, (for free) in the next six months.
Schedule of Cricket World Cup
Schedule of Cricket World Cup in the West Indies. The practice matches start from today.