Footsteps on Clouds
Chirayu's blog about search engines, Google, poetry, usability, search engine optimization and marketing, writing, reading, books, cricket, musings, Haiku, teaching, and collection of interesting personal, professional, and misc. links. Collection of thoughts, quotable quotes, sayings, ideas, articles, news, movies, lyrics, and Shayari with life and times as a web content writer, an online researcher, and a search engine marketing professional from Bangalore in India.
Saturday, January 28, 2006
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Google agrees to censorship, won't provide Gmail and Blogger in China.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful by the 'Do No Evil' way. Are they going to forsake it for a (few) billion advertising dollars (Yuan)?
See examples of Google.cn (China) and Google.com results.
Monday, January 23, 2006
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Saturday, January 14, 2006
From Paul Graham's essay, "What is Good Design?"
Good Design is
- Provides answers
- Sometimes funny
- Hard but looks easy
- Uses symmetry
- Resembles nature
- Involves redesign
- Sometimes strange
- Happens in chunks
- Sometimes daring
Good design is Google.
- Easy/ Usable
- Uses white to its advantage
"Indians are known for *"
Thursday, January 12, 2006
Find Popular Links
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Download Google Screensaver (filename: gbsaver.scr, type: .scr screensaver file, size: 636kb); paste it in C:\Windows (for Windows XP) or C:\WINNT (for Windows 2000) users.
Once you've installed the file, right click your mouse button on the desktop, select Properties and set the Screensaver to Google Pack Screensaver from the Display Properties window.
Select the Settings button of the Screensaver, choose the Picture Folder Settings tab to add folders with your favourite images.
From the Visual Settings tab set the Visual Effect to Collage to view your favourite images, with white borders for each photograph, on your desktop.
- Information via Amit's blog.
- Read from the original source.
Here's a screenshot of a collage of images from Google Screensaver. All images from Flickr.
A good read on Web 2.0.
What signifies Web 2.0?
- Democracy and freedom
- Ajax: The proof of a (combination) of technologies as the next development platform is when people start building things on it.
Read essays written by Paul Graham.
- Read essays from Adaptive Path.
- Read essays from Technicat.
Note: The above external links open in a new window.
Firefox users right click your mouse button on a link and select 'Open Link in New Tab' to view the Web page in a new tab.
Monday, January 09, 2006
Cricket: Schedule of India v. Pakistan - Tests & ODIs
Schedule of India's cricket tour of Pakistan in Jan-Feb. 2006.
- Jan. 13-17, 1st Test, Lahore
- Jan. 21-25, 2nd Test, Faisalabad
- Jan. 29 to Feb. 2, 3rd Test, Karachi
- Feb. 6, Peshawar
- Feb. 11, Rawalpindi
- Feb. 13, Lahore (d/n)
- Feb. 16, Multan (d/n)
- Feb. 19, Karachi
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Motorola connects to Google
Motorola makes it easier for cell phone users to surf the Internet; plans to sell cell phones with a Google button on the keypad.
Reading and reference.
Style Guide from The Economist.
Saturday, January 07, 2006
What's new at Google?
- Google Pack* - a collection of software that includes Google Desktop, Google Earth, Picasa photo organizer, Google Pack Screensaver, Google toolbar for IE, Firefox browser, Adobe PDF reader, Norton antivirus, and Ad-Aware anti-spyware.
- Softwares provided in Google Pack.
* Note: Works only with Windows XP and IE6/Firefox 1.0 or above.
Friday, January 06, 2006
A Thought for Today
Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, and never know too much to learn something new.
~ Og Mandino
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Personal: Trek in the Afternoon
Burnt calories this afternoon.
I went for a trek during lunchtime. I climbed the Baner hilltop.
- Turn left about a kilometre from Baner Telephone exchange (coming from Pune University) and climb the steps to reach halfway to the top of the first temple. Then it's a 5-minute uphill climb to the first small temple and a 15-minute moderate/gradual climb to the other small temple on the hilltop that overlooks Pancard Club and provides a bird's eye-view of the city.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Google logo in Braille
Retrievr - Search images by sketching
Draw a picture of an image that you want to find and let Retrievr Sketch search display images from Flickr with its pattern matching. Did you get the image you wanted?
The 10/20/30 rule for Powerpoint presentations.
Good rules to follow, more so for those seeking VC funding.
- A presentation should have not more than 10 slides
- Last not more than 20 minutes
- Use font-size not smaller than 30pt.
- Information via Satish's BombayLives.
- Read from the original source.
Light Colors for Web pages
Light colors for Web page backgrounds:
- Color Colorcode
- whitesmoke #f5f5f5
- aliceblue #f0f8ff
- azure #f0ffff
- mistyrose #ffe4e1
- mintcream #f5fffa
- honeydew #f0fff0
- lavenderblush #fff0f5
- linen #faf0e6
- seashell #fff5ee
- oldlace #fdf5e6
- snow #fffafa
- lightyellow #ffffe0
- ivory #fffff0
- antiquewhite #faebd7
- ghostwhite #f8f8ff
- floralwhite #fffaf0
- cornsilk #fff8dc
- lightgoldenrodyellow #fafad2
- lavender #e6e6fa
- lightgrey #d3d3d3
- lightsteelblue #b0c4de
- lightcyan #e0ffff
- beige #f5f5dc
- blanchedalmond #ffebcd
- bisque #ffe4c4
- moccasin #ffe4b5
- peachpuff #ffdab9
- papayawhip #ffefd5
Monday, January 02, 2006
Pandora - Music that you like
List of best books of 2005 from Amazon.com.